Deliver science-based targets and implement emission reduction roadmaps for our airline, cruise and hotel operations that are in line with the Paris Agreement goals.
TUI’s 2030 science-based targets for airline, cruises and hotels achieved validation from the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) in January 2023 – confirming they are in line with the latest climate science. We are one of the world’s first airlines with SBTi validated targets, the world’s first ocean cruise companies to reach this milestone and among the first leisure hotel companies. By 2030, we will reduce CO2e per rpk from TUI Airlines by 24%, absolute CO2e from cruises by 27.5% and TUI Hotels & Resorts by at least 46.2%, all compared to 2019 levels. Our commitment to making tourism more sustainable spans three decades and this latest development marks the next step in our sustainability transformation.
Through the “Planet” building block of our new Sustainability Agenda we are working to reduce the environmental footprint of holidays, with a headline goal to achieve net-zero emissions across our operations and supply chain by 2050 at the latest.
We want to take action now, which is why we have set near-term science-based targets for the three business areas that represent 99% of our emissions – airline, cruises and hotels. Our emission reduction targets were reviewed by the independent SBTi – a collaboration between the UN Global Compact, World Resources Institute (WRI), the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) and CDP – to ensure that they comply with the latest findings of climate science. By collaborating with SBTi it ensures we are working to the global standard and provides accountability and guidance to make real reductions to limit global warming.
Detailed emission reduction roadmaps have been developed with an external partner. They include key levers to reduce emissions by 2030 and achieve net zero emissions in 2050, including: implementing the planned fleet renewal towards more carbon efficient aircraft, as well as using sustainable aviation fuels, generating more solar energy for hotels and piloting e-methanol for cruise ships. This builds on the leading progress we have made to date – we already operate some of the most efficient aircraft and cruise ships.
An overview of our science-based targets, achievements and key emission reduction levers:
Reduce CO2e per revenue passenger kilometre for TUI Airline by 24% by 2030*
- One of the world’s first airlines with validated science-based targets
- 18% carbon efficiency improvement (2008-2022)
- Modern efficient fleet: Boeing 787s and Boeing 737 MAX
- Key emission reduction levers: continued investment in fleet renewal, operational efficiency measures and sustainable aviation fuels
Reduce absolute CO2e from cruises by 27.5% by 2030**
- The world’s first ocean cruise companies with validated science-based targets and first to set absolute reductions
- Latest environmental technologies on newbuild ships
- TUI Cruises to offer the first climate-neutral cruise by 2030
- 14% carbon efficiency improvement (2015-2019)
- Key emission reduction levers: fleet modernisation and efficiency measures, use of green shore power and pilot low carbon fuels
TUI Hotels & Resorts
Reduce absolute CO2e from TUI Hotels & Resorts by 46.2% by 2030***
- Among the first leisure hotel companies with validated science-based targets
- Around a quarter of our hotels are using solar power for green energy
- Majority of our hotels are certified as sustainable – meeting global sustainability standards
- We are working towards a more ambitious target internally – to reduce CO2e to zero by 2030
- Key emission reduction levers: improved energy efficiency, more green energy through solar and wind and strict standards for new-builds and refurbishments
*Reduce scope 1 and scope 3 well to wake emissions from jet fuel. Metric ‘rpk’ means revenue passenger kilometre. Baseline: FY2019. Level of ambition well below 2oC scenarios.
**Reduce scope 1 and scope 3 well to wake emissions from cruise marine fuel. Baseline: FY2019. Level of ambition well below 2oC scenarios.
***Reduce scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions from TUI Hotels & Resorts. Baseline FY2019. Level of ambition 1.5oC scenarios.