Our position today
Excursions that allow people to see and learn about animals remain very popular with our customers. There are also significant socio-economic benefits from animal-related excursions. This benefit is particularly relevant in developing countries where we are committed to help communities thrive. Furthermore, market research we commissioned in January 2017 showed that around 70% of holidaymakers wanted the option of excursions to dolphin and whale shows. Of those holidaymakers, 60% said they would only feel that way if those attractions met global animal welfare standards. This customer viewpoint and our long term focus on animal welfare issues define the position we hold today:
- Adherence to the Global Welfare Guidance for Animals in Tourism is a component of all supplier contracts.
- Our auditing programme continues to prioritise an independent audit against the Global Welfare Guidance for Animals in Tourism as a prerequisite for continuing to be a supplier of animal excursions for TUI Group.
- We continue to direct significant levels of funding into animal protection initiatives through TUI Care Foundation.
- We seek to more frequently offer our customers animal friendly excursions where they can see animals in the most natural of environments.
- We continue our extensive programme of training on animal welfare issues among employees.
We support an end to the capture from the wild of animals for shows or entertainment.